Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
If your employment or self-employment has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of the tornado that occurred on March 31, 2023, this information applies to you. Before applying for DUA, you must apply for traditional unemployment insurance. File your initial unemployment claim at https://www.ezarc.adws.arkansas.gov.
What is DUA?
Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) provides temporary benefits to individuals whose employment or self-employment has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of a major disaster and who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance (UI). “Direct result” means loss of employment or self-employment because of the major disaster and not the result of a long chain of events caused or worsened by the disaster. ADWS will check to see if individuals are eligible for regular UI benefits before finding them eligible for DUA. If individuals are eligible for regular UI benefits, they will receive those benefits instead of DUA.
The U.S. Department of Labor oversees the DUA program and coordinates with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) of the Department of Homeland Security. DUA is administered by ADWS acting as agents of the federal government whenever a disaster declaration for “individual assistance including DUA” is made.
Qualifying for DUA
One of the following conditions of unemployment must have occurred as a direct result of the disaster to qualify for DUA:
- The individual has had a week of unemployment following the date the major disaster began;
- The individual is unable to reach his/her place of employment;
- The individual was scheduled to start work, and the job no longer exists, or the individual was unable to reach the job;
- The individual became the breadwinner or major support because the head of the household died as a direct result of the disaster; or
- The individual cannot work because of an injury caused as a direct result of the disaster.
Individuals who meet one of the qualifying conditions above must also meet all the following eligibility requirements to be eligible for DUA:
- The individual is not eligible for regular UI;
- The individual is unemployed as a direct result of the disaster;
- The individual is able and available for work unless injured as a direct result of the disaster;
- The individual applied for DUA within 30 days of the date of the public announcement of the availability of DUA; and
- The individual has not refused an offer of employment in a suitable position.
5401 S. University Ave.
Little Rock, AR 72209
P.O. Box 4970 72214-4970
400 Edison Ave.
Benton, AR 72015-4313
P.O. Box 2470 72018-2470
1500 N. Museum Rd. #111
Conway, AR 72032
P.O. Box 189
2311 E. Nettleton Ave.
Jonesboro, AR 72401
P.O. Box 16127
501 W. Arch Ave.
Searcy, AR 72143
P.O. Box 248
300 Eldridge Road, Ste 2
Forrest City, AR 72335
P.O. Box 1987
2003 W. Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
P.O. Box 1928